Physician loan repayment application open thru May 15
The Ohio Physician Loan Repayment Program application cycle is open through May 15, 2015!
The goal of the Ohio Physician Loan Repayment Program (OPLRP) is to increase access to primary care for underserved communities and populations. In exchange for loan repayment assistance, physicians commit to practice for a minimum of two years at an eligible site in a Health Professional Shortage Area (HPSA) or Health Resource Shortage Area, accept Medicare and Medicaid, and see patients regardless of ability to pay.
The following primary care specialties are eligible:
- Family Practice
- General Internal Medicine
- Internal Medicine/Pediatrics
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- General Pediatrics
- Adolescent Medicine
- Psychiatry (General, Child and Adolescent, Geriatric)
Physicians applying to OPLRP must either be in current practice or in the final year of residency or fellowship training at the time of application. If applicants have existing obligations to a government or other entity, the obligations must be met prior to beginning a loan repayment contract.
NEW for the 2015 Application Cycle:
- Service may be fulfilled through part-time practice.
- Teaching activities at approved practice sites may qualify toward required practice hours.
- Practice at Free Clinics located outside of shortage areas may qualify as eligible service.
To learn more and to obtain the OPLRP application, please visit http://www.odh.ohio.gov/odhprograms/chss/pcrh_programs/recruitment/slrp.aspx
For more information, please contact:
Shane Ford, MA
Primary Care Office
Ohio Department of Health