OPPA member, Stephen Strawkowski, MD, is a candidate for President in APA’s 2018 Election
My overall goal is to position APA optimally within the national mental health discourse to maximize: 1) advocacy for patients and families; and 2) support for members to deliver the best care possible, while ensuring the practice of psychiatry is enjoyable. My priorities are:
Improve the ‘brand’ of Psychiatry.
- Create campaigns that define psychiatry for the public and diminish stigma.
- Create policies that eliminate mental health care disparities.
Place psychiatry solidly within the continuum of integrated healthcare.
- Create training mechanisms to facilitate evidence-based care.
- Strengthen parity legislation and care reimbursement.
- Support research into models of mental health integrated into general healthcare.
- Create approaches that expand workforce diversity.
Support membership through healthcare transitions.
- Improve APA transparency.
- Advocate for patient-centered technology development.
- Develop education around evolving care transitions.
- Bring value to certification and recertification processes.
Please see https://stevestrakowski.com/.