Time is running out to register to attend OPPA's Advocacy Day at the Statehouse on April 11
For OPPA members who attended in the past, we hope you will join us again!
If you haven't attended in the past, we hope that you will choose to do so this year!
As we have seen with several issues over the past few years, effective lobbying can and does result in effective advocacy! Effective advocacy consists of contacting your elected officials, communicating a knowledgeable (as well as educational) message and asking for their support and desired vote on a particular bill!
As with any skill, practice and ongoing training and education enhances effectiveness! Each year, the OPPA sponsors a legislative Advocacy Day for its members (and non-members who have an interest) at the Statehouse in Columbus.
A typical advocacy day schedule includes (please note times are approximate):
- Grassroots Advocacy Training and Opportunity to Witness a Committee Hearing (9 a.m. 11 a.m.)
- Advocacy From the Perspective of Ohio Legislators (11 a.m. - Noon)
- Lunch (provided by the OPPA)
- Update on key OPPA Legislative Priorities (Noon - 1 p.m.)
- Meetings with Legislators (typically one-on-one or in small groups, members will have prearranged appointments lasting from 15 min. to 30 min. with legislators; there may also be opportunities to attend committee hearings and/or House and Senate full session) The OPPA will schedule meetings.
There is no cost to attend; however, advance registration is required so that we can schedule meetings with individual legislators!