As we have seen with several issues over the past few years, effective lobbying can and does result in effective advocacy! Effective advocacy consists of contacting your elected officials, communicating a knowledgeable (as well as educational) message and asking for their support and desired vote on a particular bill!
As with any skill, practice and ongoing training and education enhances effectiveness! Each year, the OPPA sponsors a legislative Advocacy Day for its members (and non-members who have an interest) at the Statehouse in Columbus.
A typical advocacy day schedule includes (please note times are approximate and may change):
- Witness a Committee Hearing in Session at the Statehouse (9 - 10 a.m.)
- OPPA Issues and Talking Points (10 - 11 a.m.)
- Perspective of Ohio Legislators (11 a.m. - Noon)
- Lunch (provided by the OPPA)
- Update on key OPPA Legislative Priorities (Noon - 1 p.m.)
- Meeting with Legislators (1 - 5 p.m. typically one-on-one or in small groups, members will have prearranged appointments lasting from 15 min. to 30 min. with legislators; there may also be opportunities to attend committee hearings and/or House and Senate full session)
There is no cost to attend; however, advance registration is required so that we can schedule meetings with individual legislators! Click here for flyer with detailed information.
Click HERE to register on-line for the 2017 OPPA Advocacy Day.